Mobile menu icon
Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Mobile menu icon Search iconSearch
Search type

Department of Chemical Engineering

Student sat at desk, smiling at camera

International students

Manchester is a diverse, multicultural city, and the University takes great pride in welcoming students from across the world.

Miew Ki

The ability to integrate my favourite subjects – Maths and Chemistry – and that it could open a number of doors for me in the future due to its versatility, was what had finally led me to choose chemical engineer as my career choice.

Miew Ki / Chemical Engineering international student

Home to one of the largest and best-equipped pilot scale area of any UK university. Manchester has a unique mission and a commitment to translating research into real-world solutions, from pioneering pharmaceutical production to creating sustainable sources of energy.

This is the birthplace of Chemical Engineering.

English language requirements

All applicants to the University (from the UK and Overseas) are required to show evidence of English Language proficiency. The minimum English Language requirement for this course is either:

  • GCSE/iGCSE English Language grade 4/C
  • IELTS 6.5 with no less than 6.0 in each component
  • TOEFL iBT 90 with no subscore below 20
  • An acceptable equivalent qualification

Please note that if you hold English as a Second Language iGCSE qualification, we may also require you to offer one of our acceptable equivalents or achieve a higher grade in your iGCSE than the one stated above.

English language test validity: Some English language test results are only valid for two years. Your English language test report must be valid on the start date of the course.

Fees, funding and scholarships

There are a range of funding options open to international students, depending on the nature of your programme.

Explore our fees and funding pages to discover more about these.

Undergraduate fees and funding
Taught master's fees and funding
Postgraduate research funding options

Foundation programmes

Would you like to study electrical, electronic and mechatronic engineering at Manchester but don't have the right entry qualifications? A Foundation Year course could be the solution for you.

The Integrated Foundation Year is 'year zero' of a four or five year course that leads to a degree from one of the schools of science or engineering at The University of Manchester.

Additionally, you can find out more about foundation courses for international students on the main University website.

Visa requirements

To study at The University of Manchester, international students require a student visa.

Please read the University’s guidance on visas before you start working on your application.